Welcome

Just a few rambling thoughts and crafts from a mind that is full of both. I am talented in my mind but regularly run full throttle into the wall of procrastination. I have raised procrastination to an art form. A friend once told me I have a BS in BS and a minor in excuse making. If there is anyway to get out of doing my best, I will do my best to get out of it. Welcome to my saburban life. : ).. Lol.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How's the beef?

Soo, yesterday, before work, I put a beef roast in the crockpot.  No one would ever mistake me for a cook.  I wasn't exactly sure how to season it.  Previously, I had made one after browning the sides, and putting it in the oven.  I am soo not a roast fan, it's usually tasteless and tough as a shoe to chew.  Blech.  Imagine my delight when I found a crockpot roast recipe on Pinterest (I really do need a "Pintervention!"  Seriously!), that was deeelishus!  Ohh.  That was THE best roast I have ever tasted.  Flavorful!  Tender!  Moist!  It was just that good.  You can find the recipe here.

(best idea for roast, ever! yummy! yummy!)
(deeeelishus!)
(yay!)

Ok.  Soo.  Yesterday?  I didn't have the dry Italian Seasoning mix.  I didn't have the dry Ranch Dip Mix.  I did have the Brown Gravy mix and some Onion Soup Mix.  Great!  I'll try that.  Add one cup of water and whoosh!  It'll be done by the time I get home from work.  Yay!  I forgot to add onions before I left. (and a bay leaf!  you didn't add a bay leaf?  really?  no bay leaf?  - so apparently I forgot a bay leaf as well.)  No problem.  Sent a text to my husband.  We were already going to have to add potatoes and carrots to cook before we ate, we could surely just add the onions at that time and it would all be finished after all those were tender.

(worst idea for a roast, ever!  and ever!! and ever!!!)
(uuuuuughh!  ahhh!!  ack!!!)
( : o  !!!)  <--- Niecy Nash's probable reaction..

Luckily!  I made it home first.  Niecy Nash wouldn't have called what I saw, "a hot mess"!  Lol.  She would have screamed, turned around and ran screaming from the house.  Lol.  It looked like a brown, gooey blob.  Great.  Guess the Onion Soup mix wasn't such a good idea.  Awesome!  What to do?  What to do?!  Aha!  Grabbed the colander, stuck it in the sink, poured the meat goo in, and ran it under warm water until the residue subsided.  Aha!  The meat was still super tender, falling off of the fork, and deceptively, despite the mess, it was pretty darn flavorful!  Lol.  K.  Stuck the meat back in the crockpot after having rinsed the brown, gooey stuff out.  Added my carrots, onions and enough water to cover all of that, cut up some potatoes and boiled them on the stove until they were fork tender, and then added them to the crockpot.  I added some garlic salt, salt and pepper to the mix.  Turned it on high and let it go.

Whew.  Luckily, the husband didn't make it home until all the gooey chaos had departed.  : )..  Yay!  Yay for me!  What wasn't such a great idea, turned out alright after all.  It really did turn out well.  Gooey mess be darned.  Soo.  If you are ever wondering how to cook a roast in the crockpot, and you can't cook like me?  Ya might wanna check Pinterest for ideas.  Lol.  Don't try to adlib like I did.  Whew!  Ya, ya.  That pot roast was just like that when I found it.  Good, isn't it?  (hehehe.  shhh.)  Right?  : )..  (whistling innocently)

4 comments:

  1. MMMMM Pot Roast! I havent made one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making them in the crockpot, it's so nice to toss it in and hours later be done. And a couple minutes to clean? Winner, winner roast beef dinner. Lol. : )..

      Delete
  2. The first & last pot roast I made, I somehow got that paper that comes between the meat & the styrofoam (the one that absorbs the "juice") stuck to the bottom of it. I cooked it for 15 minutes before I realized it. It melted all over my roast. It made me sick to have to throw the whole thing away, but ick, I wasn't eating that! Long story short...if I ever decide to make another pot roast, I'll give your crockpot version a try. (without the paper thingy, of course. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that's sounds like something I would do too. Lol. I'm soo not a cook, I tried boiling water last year and forgot to turn the burner on. A watched pot doesn't boil but neither does a cold one. : ).. And the first version of the pot roast was definitely worth a try. It was soo good! Yummy!

      Delete