Welcome

Just a few rambling thoughts and crafts from a mind that is full of both. I am talented in my mind but regularly run full throttle into the wall of procrastination. I have raised procrastination to an art form. A friend once told me I have a BS in BS and a minor in excuse making. If there is anyway to get out of doing my best, I will do my best to get out of it. Welcome to my saburban life. : ).. Lol.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lessons learned by a 4.. Err.. 37 year old Firebug...

Alrighty.  Soo.  Perusing Pinterest one day, I ran upon this lovely, interesting little website.
Click Here for the link to the page..
I thought, hmm.  Can that really be done?  Can you really cut glass by wrapping it with
yarn, dipping the yarn in Nail Polish Remover, putting the yarn back on the bottle, setting it
on fire and letting it burn for 30 seconds only to douse it in cold water?
Can that really be done?  I was intrigued.  I was motivated.  I felt like a Mythbuster.
My friend felt fear!  Will she still have eyebrows?!  Will it really work?

Soo.  We set out to try it last Saturday.
Lesson # 1.  Buy Nail Polish Remover with Acetone.
Lesson # 2.  Scratch your head because no matter how many
times we tried it, it just never worked.  We let it burn longer.  Nuthin.  Not even a mark.
Lesson # 3.  A week later..  Check the internet and Pinterest again.
Aha!!!  The magic trick!!!  The missing link!!!

Lesson # 4.  Gather all of your supplies again.
Lesson # 5.  Be very, very careful!  Don't pour Acetone
Nail Polish Remover down the drain and then light the bottle
on fire above it without actually having 911 on speed dial
or someone there who can dial it for you.  Lol. 

Ok.  So it
wasn't quite THAT bad and yes, surprising enough, I DO
still have my eyebrows and a very healthy respect for the
volitility of acetone nail polish remover and fire.  Ha!
And yes, the flame was quickly extinguished since there was
water that flowed out of the faucet because thankfully,
I was trying this at the kitchen sink.  Whew!
(Btw, Dutch was out working on his big truck, he would have freaked out!)

I do have some results though.  Despite my failed attempts last weekend,
I actually succeeded this time!  It does actually work!  It might take
time to perfect this technique, but I don't foresee it being a problem
because my friends and I seem to have quite the wine bottle collection going.

Here are some of the items needed.
 All you need are Nail Polish Remover with
Acetone, yarn, bottles and matches or a lighter..
 Tie your string around the bottle where
you want the cut to be..
 Slide the yarn off and soak it in acetone,
I used a cut up blue solo cup (ha!
take that Toby Keith!).
 Slide the soaked yarn back on where
you want the cut to be again..
Light it on fire, ** make sure that you
are tipping the bottle slightly so that
the heat will remain in the bottle **
(that was the missing link)
let it burn for at least 30 seconds
or another tip was to let it go until
the string stopped burning..
And then plunge it in cold water.
Crack!  It worked!  Twice!

But, unfortunately, this was my second
successful attempt.  I think I kept the
bottle tipped too much.
Here was my first successful shot at it
which was moderately more successful.
Again, I think I tipped the bottle too
much.  I only let this one burn about
30 seconds.  I let the green one burn
itself out, which was closer to a minute.

Even though it's not a success yet, and I still have to fiddle with the results,
I can confidently say, this really does work!  Awesome!  Oooh the possibilities!
I can't wait to try bottle cutting again!  I will succeed!  : )..  Woot!

** Addendum **
I will definitely be limiting the bottle cutting to a bottle cutting tool.
Lol.

4 comments:

  1. Ummmm...just a suggestion...but doesn't Michael's sell a bottle cutter? And with a 1/2 off coupon I don't think it would be very expensive....at least not compared to the cost of replacing eyes brows or worse...your house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have to buy one of those. Lol. I'm working at the group home tonight and they usually have a never-used JoAnn's coupon from the KC Sunday paper floating around. : ).. Yeah. I'm sure that I would look like Fire Marshall Bill if I kept on bottle cutting this morning. Ha!

      Delete
  2. My Saburban Pyromaniac Life.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete